Self-Publishing Program 2017
Do you want to self-publish your book, but you’re not sure where to start? This extended program isn’t just about covering the specifics of how to take your edited manuscript through the process of self-publishing – when you complete the program you will be able to have your book for sale in print and digital formats. Taking a hands-on approach, this program will guide you through a professional quality self-publishing process, including briefing a cover design, typesetting and creating digital files, establishing ebook and print on demand distribution, as well as learning the fundamentals of marketing your book.
At the end of the program your book will be available for sale globally in ebook and print on demand formats. The program does not include the cost of book printing. Please note, you will be required to complete specific tasks at home and on deadline.
Joel Naoum will lead you through this guided self-publishing process. He’s the director of Critical Mass, a consultancy for authors and publishers. He previously established and ran Pan Macmillan Australia’s digital-first imprint Momentum.
To enrol, you must have a completed, edited and proofread manuscript ready for publication without need of any further edits or changes as of the start of the program, 15 June. Your manuscript must be primarily text; some B&W photos or illustrations can be included (if you own the copyright), but this program is not suitable for illustrated or picture books.
This program includes 7 evening sessions of either 2 or 3 hours in length.
Download the complete Self-Publishing Program 2017 schedule.
- Thursday 15 June, 6:30-9:30pm
- Thursday 22 June, 6:30-9:30pm
- Thursday 29 June, 6:30-8:30pm – note two-week break between sessions
- Thursday 13 July, 6:30-8:30pm
- Thursday 20 July, 6:30-8:30pm – note two-week break between sessions
- Thursday 3 August, 6:30-9:30pm
- Thursday 10 August, 6:30-9:30pm
Non-member $1555 | Member $1305 | Concession Member $1220
Pricing includes these external service costs:
Digital conversion – $90
Print typesetting – $160
Print + ebook cover design – $450
ISBNs – $15
Total – $715
The program does not include the cost of printing your book.
The cover design costs include up to three proposed concepts, and once a concept is agreed on, up to three rounds of amendments.
There is an additional cost of approximately $68 for print on demand (POD) distribution: this must be paid on the author’s credit card.
How to enrol
If you will have a completed, edited and proofread manuscript ready for publication without need of any further edits or changes as of 15 June, follow these steps to enrol:
- Download the Self-Publishing Program 2017 enrolment form.
- Complete the enrolment form on page 4.
- Include your payment details on the form, or pay via phone (9555 9757) or online.
- Submit your completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
What are the external service costs? What am I paying for?
- Digital conversion: Typesetting team takes your manuscript and converts it into an XML-based digital format that can then be used to output different ebook formats that might be needed, including EPUB and MOBI.
- Print typesetting: Typesetting team lays out your manuscript as a print-ready PDF ensuring the book is properly paginated and free of common typesetting issues.
- Print + ebook cover design: this is the cost for a professional graphic designer with book industry expertise to produce up to three proposed concepts, and once a concept is agreed on, up to three rounds of amendments. We have negotiated a group discount, giving you a professional quality cover at a better price.
- ISBNs: Two ISBNs will be provided per manuscript, one for ebook format and the other for print on demand (POD) format. ISBNs are used to uniquely identify your book to retailers. Their full use and why you need them will be covered in the program.
Why can’t I make changes to my manuscript after the program starts? What if I find typos?
There will be an opportunity to fix very small single-word typos. However, changes on a larger scale won’t be possible to fix. This is because once a book is typeset, any changes can cause run-on issues to the flow of the pages – these are time consuming and costly to fix. So make sure you’re happy with the content of your book before starting the program as content changes won’t be possible, other than small typos, are not possible.
I have two completed manuscripts – can I use both in this program?
The program costs cover the publication of one manuscript only.
Is there a maximum length for the manuscript?
If your manuscript is more than 200,000 words in length, please get in touch with us to discuss.
I have images I’d like to use for the cover. Is that possible?
If you have images for which you own the copyright and have permission to use globally for commercial purposes, then it may be possible to use them. However, the program will cover hints, tips and strategies for briefing a successful book cover, and if you’ve already pre-selected your image it may not fit with your cover brief after you go through the program material. By all means bring an image you like with you, but keep an open mind.
Why is the $68 print on demand distribution fee paid separately?
The author needs to pay this on credit card as there are ongoing yearly costs for market distribution from the POD distributor.
After the program, I’d like to print copies of my book. What is the cost?
It depends. For a standard 90,000-word book using standard options, the printing cost would be approximately $8 per copy, not including shipping and handling or any savings based on ordering in bulk.
What is your cancellation policy?
Your enrolment is non-refundable. If you should wish to withdraw, you must inform the NSW Writers’ Centre at least 14 days in advance of the start of the program to receive a full credit. Withdrawals up to seven days prior to program commencement will be eligible for a 50% credit. Withdrawals in the week prior to the program are ineligible for credit.
- Breathing Life into Language: Writing Poetry - SOLD OUT!
- Character & Dialogue - SOLD OUT!
- Seminar: Crowdfund it!
- Ignite Your Creative Fire
- How to Succeed as a Freelance Writer