Seminar: Crowdfund it!
Who: Anna Maguire
When: Thursday 6 April, 6:30–9:30pm
Cost: Full Price: $55; Member: $40; Conc Member: $35
Over the last few years the number of authors choosing to self-publish has grown. To produce a professional book authors need to incur costs for editing, cover design, book design, printing, ebook conversions and marketing. These costs can add up and it is hard to invest in your title upfront.
There are hotly-contested grants available to writers but some have looked to crowdfunding to help them attain their dream of publishing their own book.
- Learn what crowdfunding platforms are available to writers in Australia and the benefits and limitations.
- Find out the fees that platforms charge and what hidden costs you need to be aware of.
- Be armed with the knowledge to give their crowdfunding campaign the best chance of success.
- Examine case studies of crowdfunding campaigns for books that achieved their goals and analyse why some failed to reach target.
- One lucky attendee at this workshop will free copy of the ebook Crowdfund it! – Australia’s first ebook on this US$1.5 billion phenomenon. The ebook features information on 36 crowdfunding platforms and 12 in-depth case studies of successful crowdfunding campaigns.
Pen and paper or laptop/tablet (please note there will be chairs only, so participants may find laptops hard to manage)
About the tutor
Anna Maguire is a Sydney-based consultant and blogger specialising in digital training and strategy. She advises on digital publishing and crowdfunding through her consultancy Digireado.
Anna has worked in book publishing and digital content for 25 years. She is a former head of production at Random House Australia and is a passionate advocate for digital developments in the book industry and the emerging Australian ebook and app market. She is a graduate of the Yale Publishing Course and has appeared at the Sydney Writers’ Festival and Ubud Writers and Readers Festival. Anna regularly conducts training for editing and publishing students at Macleay College and has presented to Master of Publishing students at Sydney University. She has also trained authors in their digital publishing options for over two years.
In 2012 Anna published her first ebook with digital-first publishing start-up Editia Books. Crowdfund it! is the first Australian book about the $1.5 billion crowdfunding phenomenon. Anna blogs on digireado.com.au, and at crowdfundit.com.au. She is also on Twitter, @digireado and @crowdfunditnow and Facebook: facebook.com/digireado.