Seminar: Crowdfund it!
Who: Anna Maguire
When: Thursday 6 April, 6:30–9:30pm
Cost: Full Price: $55; Member: $40; Conc Member: $35
Crowdfunding has become an accepted way of potentially raising funds for small publishers and self-publishers. According to Books+Publishing, Australian crowdfunded publishing projects raised $1.2 million in 2014. Although we see many crowdfunding success stories in the press, publishing as a category does not have a great success rate – around 30-40 per cent is average. With such low chances of success, this workshop will enable you to plan your crowdfunding campaign with all the information you need to have the best opportunity to succeed.
- Learn what crowdfunding platforms are available to writers and the benefits and limitations, costs and suitability for your project.
- Examine case studies of crowdfunding campaigns for books that achieved their goals and analyse why some failed to reach target.
- Find out how to plan your budget and include all the costs to avoid any nasty shocks.
- Discover how crowdfunding links into social media and what you can do to build your networks prior to the campaign. Understand how to manage outreach and increase your chances of media attention.
- Understand how rewards or perks will help your project, look at some examples and workshop as a group to arrive at some ideas you may not have considered.
- Learn about the importance of your project page components and how to approach your video and what content may be best presented graphically.
- Leave understanding how to schedule your campaign, including the preparation phase and what you need to focus on during and after your crowdfunding.
- Be armed with the knowledge to give your crowdfunding campaign the best chance of success.
- All attendees will be sent a free copy of an ebook after the workshop with comprehensive information based on the workshop content.
Pen and paper or laptop/tablet (please note there will be chairs only, so participants may find laptops hard to manage)
You may also be interested in:
How to Succeed as a Freelance Writer with Bianca Nogrady
Blogging for Beginners with Will Kostakis
Introduction to Digital Marketing Essentials for Authors with Patrick Lenton
Professional Editing with Pamela Hewitt
Essentials of Publishing with Emmett Stinson & guest speakers
Crafting Arts Criticism with Anwen Crawford
Publishing Program with Joel Naoum
About the tutor
Anna Maguire has had a career spent in book publishing and loves teaching authors and publishing students about the industry. The author of Crowdfund it!, Anna has also spent the last four years involved in crowdfunding, and is a member of the board of the Crowd Funding Institute of Australia. Anna lectures and coordinates the Book Production and Book Publishing Business unit at Sydney University. Other clients have included the wonderful NSW Writers’ Centre, other writers’ centres around the country and Macleay College.
Anna blogs, fairly infrequently, on the Digireado website, www.digireado.com.au, and at www.crowdfundit.com.au. She is also on Twitter (@digireado and @crowdfunditnow) and Facebook (facebook.com/digireado and facebook.com/crowdfunditnow).